Go Where You’re Needed
Get paid to get your community moving and eating healthy. Safe Routes to Health AmeriCorps Program at Michigan Fitness Foundation (SR2H) is looking for 20 half-time members to serve at host sites statewide. The term of service runs from October 2020 – September 2021. Half-time members serve a minimum of 20 – 25 hours a week for a total of 900 hours.
What are the perks?
- Student loan deferment
- Skills and training
- Living allowance of $6,350 distributed bi-monthly
- Education Award of $3,097.50 upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school, or vocational training, or to repay student loans
- Career opportunities with leading employers from the private, public and nonprofit sectors
What will I be doing as a SR2H AmeriCorps member?
- Hold Health Through Literacy reading events at local libraries with messages on healthy eating and physical activity for kids and their caregivers
- Facilitate conversations with seniors at area senior centers on healthy aging and independence
- Teach food shopping skills at grocery stores on reading food labels, comparing unit prices, finding whole grains, and identifying 3 ways to purchase produce
- Navigate the farmers markets for low-income shoppers to stretch their food dollars further
- Demonstrate physical activities that residents can incorporate into their daily lives
- Connect community members to their local physical activity resources to make getting physically active a year round possibility
- Recruit and train volunteers to create a sustainable program
- Participate in program training and AmeriCorps Days of Service
- Documenting your service activities and writing about your experience through reflection pieces
To apply, click here.